Wednesday, January 19

2011 Conference Championship Picks

I was 2-2 last week, 3-5 in the playoffs. An expert I am not. I need to run the table to finish the post season with a winning record.

The most attractive Super Bowl match up is the Packers versus the Steelers. I think that’s the road destiny is leading us to.

All lines come from Danny Sheridan from the USA Today as of 1/19/11. Home team in CAPS.


STEELERS (-3 ½) vs. Jets

My dislike for the Jets continues to grow. The possibility that we could have a Mark Sanchez and Jay Cutler Super Bowl nauseates me.

The Jets have proven that they can go anywhere and win. Knocking out Manning and Brady in consecutive weeks is amazing. Adding Big Ben to the list would be nothing short of phenomenal . . . . . and then to beat Rodgers in the Super Bowl would be epic. It would be the most impressive road traveled to win a Super Bowl ever. We know they’re capable. I just keep waiting for the letdown. It hasn’t happened yet.

The difference between the Steelers and the Pats and Colts is that Ben Roethlisberger is evasive. He can scramble and create. Brady and Manning are two of the most immobile quarterbacks around. Ben will dazzle and make something out of nothing.

Steelers will need to get some kind of production from their run game. Regardless of the early results they can’t abandon it. If Mendenhall ends that game with 19 carries for 61 yards, that’s okay. Don’t give into the will of the Jets.

How do the matchups play out? Does Revis cover Wallace? I can’t wait for the first time that they send Wallace deep and Ben lofts the ball 55 yards through the air.

I expect a crisp game from Roethlisberger. I think we’ll see a lot of Heath Miller and Hines Ward.

Pittsburgh’s defense will be the difference in this game. Pittsburgh gave up 1,004 rushing on the season. #2 on the list? The Bears at 1,441. You can’t run on Pittsburgh.

Impact player for STEELERS: Troy Polamalu
Impact player for JETS: Santonio Holmes

PICK: STEELERS (-3 ½)




BEARS (+3 ½) vs. Packers

I stick by my pre-playoff assertion that Aaron Rodgers is beginning to structure his legend with this playoff run. He has proven they can control games even if their rushing attack is weak. This seems to be the team clicking on all cylinders right now.

The Bears MUST keep Rodgers off of the field. This means 5 to 8 minute scoring drives that result in points (or at the very least, field position). Third and longs and three and outs would kill the Bears. Matt Forte is the key to a Bears victory.

Did you know that Jay Cutler has the highest playoff winning percentage of all time (amongst quarterback’s with a minimum of one start)? He’s 1-0 baby.

Cutler, I won’t believe in you until you are being handed the Super Bowl trophy.


Impact player for BEARS: Matt Forte
Impact player for PACKERS: Clay Mathews

PICK: PACKERS (-3 ½)



Here’s how I view the best Super Bowl matchups.

1. Packers vs. Steelers
2. Bears vs. Steelers
3. Packers vs. Jets
4. Bears vs. Jets

(As the Jets continue to get no respect. . . . . .)

1 comment:

  1. Sigh...

    Dear God, if you're up there, please don't let Rapistberger and the Steelers win another ring. Kinda makes me sick that I'll be rooting for the Jets.

    I'm much more looking forward to the NFC game. Rodgers and co vs the Bears secondary should be a great matchup. I think the Bears will need to make a play or two on special teams, and yes, at some point Jay Cutler will be prison-raped by Clay Matthews to the point where you have to turn your head and look away.

    I'll go out on a limb a bit and predict Jets vs Packers in the Super Bowl.

    ReplyDelete